As you may be
aware, the Solid Waste Single Hauler contract was set to expire on March 31,
2020. With that in mind, the Dickinson Township Board of Supervisors sought
bids for a new contract during the 2019 year with discussions at multiple
public meetings. The first set of bids came in very high and the Board denied
them. The Board rebid for a contract and accepted the lowest
bidder, Advanced Disposal.
increased everywhere. In our case, the new contract has tags at $10.00 per tag
and the toter customers are now $70.32 per quarter.
Please keep in
mind that the tag prices and the toter prices reflect charges for recycling,
the cost of hauling, and includes bulk pick-up. Due to recycling issues
across the nation, the contracts increased for both the toter customers and the
tag customers. (In short, trash companies in the past were paid by the federal
government for every ton of recyclables. Now, the same companies must pay to
get rid of the recyclables they collect.)
You may want to
explore going with the toter option, if you are currently a tag customer. You
may also “opt out” of the trash contract if your residence meets the limited
criteria. Please contact the Township offices directly to determine if you
For the future,
Dickinson Township’s Board will coordinate with neighboring townships to
potentially partner in upcoming trash contracts. The increased density of
residences may reduce the overall costs. Unfortunately for this current
contract, no neighboring townships were available to partner.
As reminder, all
Board decisions are made at the twice-monthly public meetings (1st and 3rd
6:00 pm). The agenda is available on our Township website. Decisions are
also available there and shared in our newsletter. Please join us!
Year number 1 of the Contract = Tag-A-Bag (6 min/year) = $60.00/Year | Additional tags = $10.00 each | Toter Cart = $70.32/quarter
The current “Garbage Guidelines” can be accessed using
www.advanceddisposal.com. Customers should click on “Residential Services” and click on Garbage Guidelines in the drop down box. Under Pennsylvania the customer will then click on Dickinson Township.
BULK ITEM PICKUP: One item per week.
Please phone Advanced Disposal in advance of your scheduled pick up day at 717-423-5383 or 1-800-338-8971 to notify Advanced Disposal of a large item disposal such as sofas, chests or mattresses or any Freon containing items such as refrigerators, freezers, air conditioners. These items will be picked up on your scheduled day.
Will be picked up under a “single stream” method. There will be no need to separate your recyclables.
In case of inclement weather, please do not put out newspapers, cardboard or magazines. These materials can only be recycled if dry.
Curbside recycling service
- Pickup once per week.
- Recycling cart must be placed curbside the night before the scheduled collection day.
- Acceptable recyclables include: Newspaper and Inserts, Cardboard, Kraft Paper, Paper Grocery Bags, Shopping and Lunch Bags, Paper, Paperboard, Cereal Boxes, Tissue Boxes, Paper Towel Cores, Tissue Paper Cores, Soda and Beer Cartons, Shoe Boxes, Magazines, Shopping Catalogues, Discarded Mail, Greeting Cards, Envelopes, Calendars, School Papers, Carbonless Forms Paper, Computer Paper, Old Phone Directories, Paperback Books, Aluminum Beverage Containers, Aluminum Baking Tins, Aluminum Food Containers, Steel Food Containers, Empty Aerosol Cans, Clean Metallic Lids, Glass Bottles and Jars, Plastic Soda & Water Bottles, Milk Jugs, Plastic Detergent Bottles, Plastic Bottles.
To contact Advanced Disposal regarding solid waste and recycling services, please call 717-423-5383.
LIST OF UNACCEPTABLE WASTES
- Car or truck batteries
- Liquid wastes of any kind including waste oil, paint, insecticides, inks & solvents
- Tires of any size
- Aluminum foil, pie tins
- Motors containing gasoline or oil
- Tanks- welding or cooking
- Dead animals
- 55-gallon drums
- Hospital waste*
- Industrial wastes of any kind*
- Contaminated soil*
- Yard waste
- Large quantities of fence wire
- Computer screens
- Fluorescent light fixtures & bulbs
* Hospital waste, industrial waste, asbestos and contaminated soils may be disposed of at landfill facilities only with prior written approval from the Pa Department of Environmental Protection (PA DEP) and the specific landfill facility. If you arrive at the landfill without prior PA DEP and landfill approval, your waste
will not be accepted.
RECYCLE YOUR CAR - Your donation goes toward the Make-A-Wish foundation. Click
HERE for more details.